Well, to start off I guess I would have to say that by writing this post, I am in fact, being a reflective practitioner. As I write this, I am reflecting on my own ideas of what it means to be such a practitioner. Looking in on oneself is what to me makes you reflective. You must be able to take what you do and analyze it in such a way as to benefit from what you observe.
By looking in at my own understanding and knowledge of a certain topic, I can better find ways to teach it to others. I feel that in order to be a reflective practitioner I must first understand what it is I am trying to teach and demonstrate, and then use that understanding to create a lesson that will be both satisfying and educational to the students. By understanding my own means of communication and organization, my ideas will be best reflected in my students' projects and assignments.
I also find a reflective practitioner to be someone willing to find new ways of learning and teaching to support their entire network of students. That means changing projects that don't work now, even if they have worked in the past. By adjusting projects through careful observation and understanding I feel I can become a more responsive and helpful teacher. If I find that one of my projects doesn't spark the same interest in my students as I had hoped, I as a reflective teacher, will delve into the reasoning and figure out why the project was unsuccessful. Why did students become unengaged with the project? What made it boring? How can I make it better? Through reflecting on areas such as this, I will become a stronger, more helpful teacher to my students.
No comments:
Post a Comment