Tuesday, June 30, 2015

BGC- Taking Disciplinary Action

So today was a very interesting day.  It started off like any other but it seemed to change the further we went through the day.  There was a bit of an incident that I needed to take care of that I wasn't expecting to have to deal with or prepared for.  I had members pretending to be ISIS.

Okay, I'll start with a little background.  Throughout the past week I began to notice a group of members starting to really bond and gang up.  Always playing and hanging out with the same group of about 6.  They didn't seem to be causing any trouble but i could tell it was a very exclusive group and I didn't want it to become a problem among the members so I started to keep a closer eye on them.  And today was the day it paid off, because I heard them while out on the playground pretending to be ISIS and discussing how they were planning a terrorist attack.  Of course these kids are in 5th grade, but it is no joke to discuss things like this so I knew I needed to take action.

I immediately went down to the group and stopped them right away, telling them it was absolutely not okay for them to be playing that as a game.  I wasn't exactly sure what the consequence was needing to be, but I knew a conversation was going to need to take place.  After stopping the initial game, I then contacted my advisor and talked to him about the situation.  He asked me to bring in all the members of the group and he was going to have a discussion with them.  I sat in with the discussion and we discussed what ISIS was and why it was not okay to be playing that at school/club.

The conversation went pretty well and I felt much better about how I handled the situation when my director complimented me on my decision to discuss it with them all.  I was not planning for a discussion on that specific topic with the kids, but it felt good to help them understand it better and know why it is wrong.

I felt like I had made a breakthrough in my education career.  I had to discuss a very important topic and it was good to be able to do it in a smaller group.  I feel that I handle the situation correctly and I hope in the future I can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment