Saturday, December 7, 2013

Reflection on Practicum Experience

This experience has been a huge eye opener to me as a future art educator, and in the best way possible! I was so excited to get working in the classroom and this experience just completely enhanced my desire to be an art educator.  It was so good to get into the classroom and begin actually working with the students.  By being involved in the classroom I feel I am more confident with myself as a teacher and I know that this is truly where I want to spend my time.  By working in the classroom and actually teaching a full lesson, I feel that my abilities have finally gotten the chance to be tested.  It was very stressful and definitely a lot of work to plan and write a lesson and be able to teach it to my students, but it is that challenge that made the experience so rewarding for me.  I learned so much and was able to really use what I have been learning for the past 2 1/2 years and put it into practice.

My first day in the practicum classroom was quite nerve-racking.  Being around a bunch of students who had so much to offer made me quite nervous.  But at the same time, that made me so excited!  I was finally going to get to teach art!  However, after a few minutes I noticed that the classroom I was in felt so fit for teaching that I felt comfortable on my first day.  I thought to myself, "You shouldn't be comfortable. You should be freaking out right now."  But the more I thought about it, I figured maybe this really is the place for me to be.  I felt really happy the whole time I was there, never bored or uncomfortable.  This was a huge factor for me.  I thought, "Hey, maybe I can do this without freaking out. Maybe this just really works for me." And it did!

I also really loved my students that I was given the opportunity to work with.  I spent some time with the 7th Graders and the 5th Graders.  Each class had a few rowdy students, but they all had something special to offer the group.  I was extremely impressed with how I was able to connect with quite a few of the students and in such a short time.  I felt like this was a place where I really belonged.  Working with the students was so good for me. I felt like I was their friend, but also their educator. There was no problem with making that clear. I could be fun and have a good laugh once in a while, but when it was work time and someone wasn't doing their job, they got right to it if I asked.  I believe that the students had such respect for us as practicum teachers because of their great respect for their own Art teacher.  Mrs. M was such a fun and interesting woman and she truly helped her students to grow in their art and as individuals.  She was great role model for me and I thank her dearly for all of the tips and pointers she was able to give me.

Teaching my lesson was by far the most fun I had in the classroom. It was great to get up in the action and really put myself to the test.  I was able to use all of the techniques and philosophies I have been studying and actually use them instead of just reading them.  I felt like I was the queen of the world helping my students with anything they needed help with.  I had so much fun asking my students questions and seeing what they know about Georgia O'Keefe and watercolors.  It was great to be able to see so many students actually knowing Georgia's name and what she is known for.  In my discussions with the student and just my observations with them, I was able to really get to know where they were at in their art skills and knowledge and build off of that in my lesson.  It was very helpful to have my CT there with me, but it was also nice to know that I had the opportunity to teach the lesson however I felt the students would resound the best to.  And with the conclusion of the lesson I felt like I had done a pretty great job of that.

Overall I felt like this experience was a great one for me.  I learned so much and was able to put myself to the test to see what I could do in the classroom. It was so much fun to work with the kids and to see how they used art to express themselves and their ideas and opinions.  I had such a blast in the practicum classroom and I credit that to my amazing CT and the wonderful students I had the pleasure of meeting and teaching.  I hope to be able to take what I have learned in the classroom and apply it to my future practice.




No comments:

Post a Comment