Monday, October 12, 2015

My Best Characteristic & How I'm Using it to Become an Art Educator

Thinking of what has brought me into the world of education, I reflect on my strengths and passions and use that knowledge to see what it is that in fact inspired me to begin.  I find that one of my greatest characteristics that has influenced my decision to teach is my passion to open doors that may not be available to all if the opportunity isn't presented.  I find that I have a deep seeded need to allow and influence change in the world and through art that change can be explored and utilized in ways that are reachable by anyone.  I want my passion for kindness, acceptance, and peace to influence my students' learning and development.

I have a strong sense of gratitude toward my teachers for giving me the opportunities to learn about so many different things, and I feel that in education, I can in turn give back to those who need it most.  I am passionate about inspiring and opening the minds of our communities' youth and hope to be a positive influence in their lives.  I want all of my students to feel powerful, to feel important, and though the creation of art, I feel they will find that strength.

Not all children will have the same experiences outside of my classroom, but in my classroom it is my goal to create the most equal, compassionate, and fun filled atmosphere my students can have.  I want my classroom to be a safe space, where expression and optimism can flourish.  And I feel that my characteristic of compassion will aid in that goal.

My mother was a teacher and seeing the way in which she has inspired so many lives is a blessing to me.  She has been an amazing role model and guide in my teaching experience so far, and I own much of my compassion and caring to her beautiful example.  It was she who first inspired my love of education and who has continued to help my love for teaching to flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment